Smoke Free Homes
Smoke-Free Housing in Columbus and Franklin County
Smoke-free apartments are cost effective for landlords and help tenants enjoy healthier living. Every year, more landlords across the country are deciding to offer smoke-free housing.
Why Smoke-Free Housing?
- It protects residents from secondhand smoke.
- Tenants want smoke-free homes.
- Secondhand smoke cannot be controlled .
- Air quality studies show that 5% to 60% of the air in apartment units comes from other units in the building.
- Being exposed to secondhand smoke (SHS) is bad for your health.
It’s legal! A smoke-free policy is NOT discriminatory.
The Americans with Disabilities Act and the Fair Housing Act protects non-smokers with serious breathing disabilities or smoke allergies. It is legal for apartment owners to adopt smoke-free policies and it makes good business sense, according to the National Multi-Housing Council.
Help for Property Managers
Columbus Public Health provides the following to public and private property managers:
- Consultations and presentations
- Sample survey for residents
- Sample survey for landlords
- Model smoke-free lease addendum to incorporate into your current lease
- Resources to help residents quit smoking
- Advertising that includes a listing on the Columbus Smoke Free Apartments online directory (coming soon!)
- Sample announcement letters to send to renters
- Guidelines for resident meetings and celebrations
- Strategies for advertising your smoke-free building
To post your property on the Columbus Smoke Free Apartments online directory -- Coming soon!
Smoke Free Housing in the News