...by the community, for the community.
The Community Health Advisory Committees (HAC) provide advice, direction and information to improve the health of a community. This is done through the collaboration of health care and community-based partnerships.
To tackle the major health concerns and issues affecting neighborhood residents, HACs:
- promote the benefit of healthy lifestyle behaviors
- serve as advocates for education and increased access to health resources
- support residents concerns regarding health issues
- help communities track results and hold responsible groups accountable
The long-range intent of the Community Health Advisory Committee is to be the vehicle that brings and keeps health issues of the neighborhood in the forefront of policy makers and those that provide health care access within each quadrant of the city.
Who are the members?
- civic associations
- area commissions
- healthcare providers and hospitals
- community agencies
- faith-based organizations
How do they develop actions within a neighborhood?
- A community health assessment is done.
- This data and other information are presented to HAC members.
- Columbus Public Health provides technical assistance to help interpret the data and reports.
- Questions, answers, discussions and possible outcomes are defined.
- HAC members prioritize the health issues they want to address.
What makes them work?
- Knowing the community's history
- Establishing trust
- Educating the community
- Respecting community values & norms
- Including everyone
- Setting reachable goals first
- Identifying key stakeholders and issues
- Promising only what you can do
- Providing accurate information
- Being culturally competent
- Sharing in the decision making process
- Collaborate, collaborate, collaborate!
HACs by Area
Near East Health Advisory Committee
Zip Code Areas: 43203, 43205
South Side Health Advisory Committee
Zip Code Areas: 43206, 43207
Westside Health Advisory Committee
Zip Code Areas: 43204, 43223, 43228
North Side Health Advisory Committee
Zip Code Areas: 43229, 43231
If you are interested in participating in a Community Health Advisory Committee in your neighborhood, call the Healthy Neighborhood office at 645-0732.