CRPD Logo

2014 Guide to Summer Fun Brochure 2014 GTSFB Thumbnail

Registration & Reservations To view our exciting catalog of activities, register for classes, or reserve a facility CLICK HERE.

Join Our Mailing List To receive information on our upcoming activities via email CLICK HERE.

Whetstone Park

Whetstone Park Image

3923 N. High St.
Columbus, OH 43214
View on Map  

Alert: Beginning Monday, July 7, renovations will begin on all of the tennis courts located at Whetstone Park. Renovations will begin with the 5 courts located furthest from the community center, and these courts will not be usable during renovations. Following completion of these 5 courts, work will then begin on the remaining 6 courts thereafter. The tentative completion date on all of the courts is August 31, 2014. 

Whetstone Park, located just north of The Ohio State University, is a community park and landmark for the Clintonville neighborhood that encompasses over 136 acres for both active and passive use. Originally a family farm in the early 1800's, the land was purchase by Columbus mayor James A. Rhodes in 1944 and converted into a park for Victory Gardens during World War II.  Over 500 Victory Gardens were planted throughout the duration of the war, and on Memorial Day 1950, the land was christened Whetstone Park. Today, Whetstone Park is a community park that combines natural beauty, native Ohio prairie, and community amenities. The park has a large community center that provides classes from tots to seniors, meeting rooms and free space. The park has youth and adult sports leagues, fishing, trails, playgrounds and natural areas. The Park of Roses is a park within the park, a 13 acre rose garden that showcases over 350 varieties of roses, and 11,000 total roses.  A recent addition, the Whetstone Prairie, planted in May 2004, converted 5.1 acres of Whetstone Park into native Ohio prairie with vernal pools and woodland buffer.  This site is used as a key educational and demonstration site that includes walking trails, viewing stations, information signage and an educational program.

Features
  • 136.28  Acres
  • North  Location
Facilities